Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Herbed Turkey Meatloaf and Roasted Parsnip Puree

Many of you are in the same boat as I am.

There are certain foods you just cant/wont/dont eat. My list includes shellfish, pork, mushrooms (blech!) and red meat (except the occasional lamb for my hubby).

 However, I choose to focus on what I DO eat - which is surprisingly  A LOT! veggies, fish, chicken and turkey!

One of my favorite meals is a thick slice of delicious turkey meatloaf. Since everyone is always looking for a healthier alternative to their favorite meals, I wanted to share this as a leaner option for those who love the classic beef meatloaf.

I improvised when making the turkey meatloaf. This was the first time I started with a base (ground turkey) and just threw things in that I though would go work well together and taste good. Something I highly recommend. If it doesnt turn out well - youve learned and can just start over. But when it comes out delicious - your foodie confidence gets a nice boost : j  Heres what I came up with:



seconds please!

Herbed Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:
ground turkey (easily made vegetarian with veggie "meat")
salt
pepper
fresh thyme (its incredible what fresh herbs can do for meat!)
fresh sage
fresh rosemary
egg (substitute with olive oil to make this vegetarian/vegan or leave out all together)
breadcrumbs
yellow mustard
chopped onions
cumin powder
a dash of ground cinnamon/cloves/bayleaf
chili powder
paprika
add whatever else you like i.e grated zucchini, veggies

Tomato Glaze:
tomato paste
paprika
dashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt
pepper
cumin powder

Steps:
Put  all ingredients in a bowl and mix together
Form into a loaf shape (or use a loaf pan)
Spread glaze over top
Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375degrees
Remove cover and bake for another 30 minutes or until when poked, juices run clear.

Roasted Parsnip Puree


So then, to accompany the yummy turkey meatloaf I had to make something healthier than the traditional mashed potatoes, right?  I went with something brand new to my kitchen - parsnips! I read several different recipes online for parsnip puree but the one that stuck out the most to me was the Roasted Parsnip Puree recipe found here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pureed_roasted_parsnips/  



beautiful fresh parsnips

















buttery and sweet naturally! 


Whats on your list of "wont eat/touch/look at" foods ?

19 comments:

  1. This looks like such a great alternative to red meat meatloaf! Love it! The parsnip puree is genius!

    My no-way-won't-eat-it food? Beets! Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great meatloaf recipe! I love your combo!
    Stunning photos!!!!

    My "wont eat/touch/look at" foods?"
    Lentils and Asparagus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ebby - what? I love beets! with goat cheese yumm.. but to each his own : j

    @Sandra - all lentils or just a certain variety? I gotta go with asparagus on this one - love them even if they make you smell funny lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! I've got parsnips ready to make the purée like in 30 mins. The turkey meatloaf has to be on our list to do, though. Looks so tasty with the smashing photos. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks like a very hearty meal :)

    my list of "won't touh or eat foods" includes mayo and ketchup.... shudders!!! :S

    -Abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been craving meatloaf, so your turkey version jumped onto my radar. It looks delicious - even to those of us who DO eat red meat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed a new meatloaf recipe :) thanks for posting! It looks really yummy! The roasted parsnip puree looks really good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just like you... there's a lot I won't eat, but I feel like there's a lot that I do eat, too!

    Looks like a delicious comforting dish without all the fat of traditional meat and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh love turkey meatloaf! The roasted parsnips sound so interesting. Adding on my list to try. =) This looks like a great meal btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love turkey meatloaf too!!!! There are very few things I do not eat... but boiled eggs are my worst nightmare!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love meatloaf...good meatloaf that is :) I left an award for you over at http://forevernowandthen.com/2011/04/28/award/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great, feel good, tasty look recipe!!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  13. this sounds great!! especially that parsnip puree....yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really made for a lovely meal. Your meatloaf looks delicious. This is my first visit to your blog so I've been exploring and browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers, and it goes without saying, that your photos are beautiful. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are so beautiful! I love meatloaf and this is a great recipe to really showcase that meatloaf can be had all year round and not just as a winter comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Meatloaf! I must try the parsnip recipe. YUM! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this recipe! We do a lot of turkey meatloaf and burger, too so it's nice to have another great recipe on hand. Parsnip puree is delicious, too, nice alternate to the mashed potatoes. Yummy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete