Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Have you ever tasted ghee or clarified butter?
If you haven't stop what youre doing and try this. There is nothing in this world that tastes like pure, rich, clarified butter.
It is a sinfully indulgent staple in Indian homes and gives Indian food a special "just cant put my finger on what that ingredient is but I love it" taste.
Heres what you need:
1. Unsalted Butter
2. A pot
3. A wide mouth bottle with a top
4. Slotted spoon
Heres how you make your very own!
1. Melt unsalted butter in a pan
2. Allow mixture to come to a low boil and then turn the stove down to let the butter simmer. Be sure to watch the butter carefully as it can burn/scorch and turn a nasty bitter brown color.
3. The milk solids from the butter will start to slowly rise to the top. With your slotted spoon you can carefully start to skim off what you can but if you dont get all of it dont worry. Whats left at the bottom is ghee!
4. Once the butter separates you will notice a rich, nutty aroma develop. At this point carefully pour the melted, separated butter through the sieve into the glass jar.
5.The ghee will turn back into a semi solid at room temperature and is ready to spread onto anything you like! YUM!
Posted by Our Eyes Eat First