Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Haldi & Henna Easter Eggs !


Easter is such a wonderful time of celebration! Whether you are celebrating Christ's ressurection or the blessing of having time with your family the joyous spirit of the holiday is all around!  

I decided to add an "Indian" twist to the holiday this year. Using a natural ingredient - haldi (turmeric) I dyed  eggs a bright cheery shade of yellow. This earthy and fragrant spice is usually used in cooking but  can also be found in homemade face masks and body scrubs! (honey + turmeric + sandlewood = amazing!) 

Mendhi (henna) would not leave the same deep orange hue on an egg's surface as it does on a bride's hands (believe me I tried and failed lol.. ) so I improvised with a couple of non-toxic henna-colored markers instead : j

Here's how to make your own batch of lovely Indian inspired Easter eggs!


Earthy, fragrant turmeric. Found at your local indian grocery store!



Add a few teaspoons of turmeric to a pot of water. Drop eggs into water
carefully and boil for ~ 6-10 minutes (as you would for soft or hard boiled
eggs) PS - you can eat the eggs after !







Remove eggs carefully and allow them to drain on
papertowels. Once cool, they can be decorated.





Using non-toxic markers, make designs with paisleys, flowers
dots, etc. Several templates can be found online.



so pretty!








My wedding day and henna'd hands : j
                                
                                  Happy Easter to everyone!

31 comments:

  1. What beautiful Easter eggs! Have a very happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy easter!! the eggs look very pretty!! =) i always love the pics u take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it sound so easy "make designs with flowers" ;-), I am not sure I have your talent :-). These designs look beautiful, and I love the yellow on the eggs, it reminds me of the pastel colors of the 19th century :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! I love the idea of using turmeric. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly beautiful .. sharing this in twitter :)
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowowowo so pretty , Happy Easter Jas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some beautiful eggs!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty. Looks awesome.Happy Easter to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh, what truly gorgeous eggs! I am seriously in awe that you could just draw that!! Stunning, just stunning!!!

    PS...I need to make sure I'm following you...if not, I will add you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous are they! That was an inspired idea to use non-toxic henna pens. The turmeric turns the eggs such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow are you ever talented.. thanks for even complimenting mine.. after seeing these
    I want to take the post out... yours are above and beyond incredibly gorgeous... just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all!

    Thanks Kankana for the twitter love and Lizzy for following me : j

    @Pegasuslegend - dont be silly you do wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such unique and beautiful henna easter eggs! =) hope you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fantastic. I love the all natural dye use (just came across some reco's on Martha Stewart for different shades - http://www.marthastewart.com/article/dyeing-eggs-naturally) and the henna just adds a great creative twist. Screw the kids, I want to make this for *me.*

    ReplyDelete
  15. These eggs are beautiful! I am always envious of ornately painted Easter eggs and skillfully carved Halloween pumpkins. I'm not artistic enough for it, frustratingly enough! Happy Easter :) Wishing you a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful. I'm not crazy about colored eggs, but I would have to say that these designs is the best I've ever seen. I may have to try this out next year. Thank you.

    P.S. Your henna hands and saree look so lovely on your wedding photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautifully done lovely design on the eggs and hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very creative idea. Does the egg taste any different when you use turmeric instead of yellow dye?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @claypotclub - nope not even a hint of the turmeric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stop making me hungry all the time!! I love you and your brilliant and ORIGINAL ideas... so much fun to see how much the world loves your creativity. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are just spectacular! I wish I'd seen them before now. Will try and shoot for next year to do something as amazing as this. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my word looks beautifull lovely:).

    ReplyDelete
  23. my god! those easter eggs are beautiful...love your wedding henna too. i didn't have the patience to let it dry for so long at my wedding. so, i got a basic design and washed it off in 30 minutes. needless to say, my mommy wasn't happy....lol

    -abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The eggs look so beautiful :) Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a creative take on the easter egg
    xo
    Little Miss

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful ! loved the henna on the hands and the eggs :)
    http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete