Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Balsamic Caramelized Onions


Wow! It has been way too long since my last blog post.  It really feels really good to be back at the keyboard and behind the lens! Since the arrival of our second little bean the days have flown by leaving me confused as to what time or even day it is. It has been the most wonderful kind of whirlwind, full of diapers, wipes, onesies, binkies, bottles and best of all drooly, toothless kisses!

Now that the baby is getting a little bit older and her big brother can keep her entertained, I can squeeze in a few moments to get back to the other things I love like cooking, eating (mostly eating), entertaining and taking pictures!

Just recently we had a great group of our friends along with their amazing kids over for a fun dinner party. As the kids had fun making their very own mini pizzas the adults munched on one of my favorite appetizers: Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Crostinis. I really love how easily a few simple ingredients can transform an everyday onion into something both rustic and elegant.

I ended up having quite a bit left over of the caramelized onions I had made for appetizers. Caramelized onions are so versatile and so delicious there was no way I was going to toss them.  My husband happens to be a pro with cooking meat and grilled up beautiful pan roasted chicken breasts for dinner the night before also.

The next day I hadn't even thought about making lunch for myself when my stomach hit empty. I opened the fridge for a little inspiration half hoping that something would just magically appear if I stared long enough. Then, it hit me! What could be easier than topping those juicy chicken breasts with a bit of the caramelized onions for a quick lunch !? Uhm. Amazing.

Fast forward to the next day after that. Same story. The morning had flown by and I was making lunch for my son when that familiar grumbling started in my own belly. What do I do? I didn't want chicken again. As I blankly looked onto the grilled cheese sandwich I was making for my son, inspiration struck! I decided to make myself a grilled cheese sandwich as well but mine would be filled with delicious caramelized onions! The first bite (and each bite after) of gooey cheese and sweet onions was heaven!

Now after dinner I can't wait for leftovers!


Juicy Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Onions that almost melt in your mouth!

Gooey cheese and caramelized onion goodness!




Balsamic Caramelized Onions

Ingredients:
2 Red Onions
3 Tablespoons of Butter or Oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
1 TeaspoonAged Balsamic Vinegar
1 Teaspoon of Sugar

Directions
1. Thinly slice the red onions 
2. Melt butter in a heavy bottom pan 
3. Add Onions and saute on low heat until translucent
4. Sprinkle the sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar 
5. Cook until above ingredients have reduced and onions have a deep brown hue
6. Put this on (almost) everything!









No comments:

Post a Comment