Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Stuffed Crust Tandoori Chicken Flatbread (Organic and Homemade)

Warning: This recipe is serious.

Not only is it 99% organic, everything from the dough to the tandoori chicken (even the yogurt I used) was made from scratch.  For the time it took, I have to say that it was  completely  worth it because it was THE BEST flatbread of life! The ingredients you choose to cook with absolutely make a difference. period.

I realize I wont always have the luxury of time to cook like this, so Im making the most of it now. My husband and my tummy are soooo grateful!

PS. Get your napkins ready for some serious drool factor pictures!

( So when I said organic that meant everything, from the flour and yeast to the chicken to the veggies and the cheese. This was challenging because you have to be much more conscious of what you buy. I almost made it to 100% but, despite my best efforts, I realized too late that my oil was not organic!  Also the spices I used were not organic. But its ok, Ill take 99%  : j )


Flatbread/Pizza Crust

I made the pizza/flatbread myself from a super easy recipe I found here.  Fresh thyme was also added to the crust which was super yum. Add anything you like to make it your own : j
Or grab ready made pizza dough from the grocery store if you dont have the time. (it does takes a few hours to make because the dough has to proof)

Source:  http://aspicyperspective.com/2010/02/rise-and-fall-of-dough.html
  
*substitute above ingredients with organic equivalents
Tandoori Chicken

This part is super simple and tasty!

Recipe Source: Jasmol Sardana
*Substitute ingredients below with organic equivalents

Ingredients and Steps:
Part 1 
Make marinade:
tandoori powder (you can find this at any indian grocery store)
ginger/garlic paste to taste
salt/pepper
chilli powder to taste
yogurt 
lemon juice
Onion  paste – blend a fresh cut up onion in a blender
make a few slits in chicken thighs pieces and add to the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours
Part 2
place in oven proof dish for 30-40 min(depending on oven) at 375 for 25 minutes and then at 425 for 5 min...
*For this recipe, since the chicken will go back in the oven, it only needs to cook for 20 minutes*



Cheese Layer

After the dough and chicken are ready, make the cheese spread

Delish VT cheese
Ingredients and Steps:
Goats cheese
Neufchatel Cheese
Pepper
Oil to thin to spreadable consistency

1. Whisk the goats cheese and neufchatel (equal parts) together with the pepper and oil until easily spreadable

 Veggies/Herbs


Grab your fave pizza toppings and slice/chop them. Then set aside for assembly. I used red onion, green onion, fresh tomato, fresh cilantro and fresh mint


Putting it all together


The best part!

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Roll out the fresh dough into a large rectangle on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet sprayed with Pam

3. spread the 1/2 of the cheese mixture onto the right half of the rectangle and then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the cheese mixture

4. carefully fold the left half of the dough over the cheese layer on the right side (like closing a book)

5. spread the rest of the cheese mixture on top of the dough and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese

6. layer veggies over the cheese layer (reserve herbs for the end)

7. After the chicken has cooled, pull apart into chunks and layer on top of the veggies

8. Brush edges with oil

9. Slide Flatbread into the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden

10. Cut into wedges and serve


sooo worth all the hard work - ridiculously good





29 comments:

  1. following your yummy site
    these would be delicious for snack as well
    next time I will :) bite and take a picture of the fried bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Very impressive that you made everything for this from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super yum! Great job making the bread - this is something I've been meaning to try. This recipe looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This flatbread looks incredible and delicious! I'm sure it was just the best!
    Have a beautiful weekend!
    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never did flatbread look more enticing and appealing. I absolutely believe you when you say it was worth the effort. There's something magical about putting your all into a dish and find out it exceeds expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you all! @Claudia - it has been quite rewarding and satisfying to, as you said, "put your all" into making a meal : j

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks sooooooo good! It looks like a lot of work but totally worth the effort!
    -abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for a weekend get-together. The photos are wonderful...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks absolutely delicious! Amazing that you made all of it from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....this seems to be an amazing pizza, sounds great. I wud love to have it, so will try it for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tandoori chicken and I love flatbread, so ideally, this is definitely the perfect meal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *slurp* that flatbread looks gorgeous , really worth the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A labor of love. It looks just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum! I love Vermont. I wish we were stuck there instead if here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm mmm mmm! I would make this with veggie chicken, but that's neither here nor there. The flavors sound AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg..that is amazing flatbread and congrats on top 9 today..looks really really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! This flatbread looks so good I have to pop in to take a closer look! I am glad I did! Wonderful blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!!I can´t wait to try this!!!
    You have a new follower!!
    YUMMYYYYY i say!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well - it paid off!! Great job making it all from scratch. It is really a great recipe! ♥- Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  20. great job indeed! and it can be called organic & home made for real !

    ReplyDelete
  21. congrats on top 9 ! lovely post and nice clicks !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious recipe and great photos! Wish I could eat them right from the monitor... I'll have to practice some patience, never a strong suit when waiting on good food!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's amazing that you made everything from scratch! How much cheese did you use for the entire pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all again for the love!!

    @Bunny - I used that 1/2 that round of goat cheese that you see in the picture plus 1/2 of an 8oz Neufchatel. Also I used 1/2 package of shredded italian cheese mix. : j

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yes, it is lunch time. Or dinner. Whichever meal comes first, slide this to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Making everything from scratch is the best! Everything tastes so much better that way, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea! I really like the flavour combinations going on here.

    ReplyDelete